Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Biscuit Recipes - Gourmet Gallery Book Signing/Biscuit Demonstration


Here are the biscuit recipes I promised.









Basic Southern Biscuits

Stir together in a bowl
2 C. all-purpose flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Cut into flour mixture 
1/4 C. shortening
Mixture should be crumbly.

Stir in with fork - 3/4 C. milk

Stir just until mixture holds together and forms into a ball. Turn mixture onto a lightly floured cloth covered board. Roll ball of dough around 3 to 4 times. Knead quickly by gently folding, pressing, and turning 20 times to smooth up the dough.

With lilghtly floured cloth-covered rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness.

Use round cutter to cut out biscuits. Dip cutter into flour before cutting each biscuit.

Use a spatula to place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet. For crusty sides, place biscuits about 1 inch a part; for soft sides, place biscuits close together in an ungreased round layer pan.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes sixteen 1 & 3/4 inch biscuits.

Recipe from Betty Crocker's New Boys and Girls Cookbook, Golden Press, 1972.







Cheddar, Bacon, and Fresh Chive Biscuits

6 thick-cut bacon slices
3 3/4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 T. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/4 t. salt
1/2 C (1stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus melted butter for brushing
2 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
1/3 C. chopped fresh chives
1 3/4 cups chilled buttermilk
Honey (optional)

Position oven rack just above center of oven. Preheat 425 degrees. Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown. Drain, then chop coarsely.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds. Add butter cubes. Blend until coarse meal forms, about 30 seconds. Transfer flour mixture to large bowl. Add cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and chopped backon; toss to blend. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring to moisten evenly (batter will feel sticky).

Using lightly floured hands, drop generous 1/2 cup batter for each biscuit onto prepared baking sheet, spacing batter mounds about 2 inches apart.

Bake until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Brush biscuits lightly with melted butter. Let cool 10 minutes.

Recipe by the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen.

Cream Biscuits

2 C. all-purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
2 t. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 C. heavy cream

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in the cream with a wooden spoon until the dough forms, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gather into a ball. Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut the biscuits into rounds using a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or 8 wedges using a knive. Place the biscuits on the parchment-lined baking sheet. (The baking sheet can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigereated for up to 2 hours.) Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Recipe by the Bon Apetite Test Kitchen

I hope you enjoy the recipes. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in my monthly ebook drawing.

Happy Eating!

Linda

15 comments:

  1. The ones with the heavy cream sound heavenly. My mouth is salivating about them but my hips would suffer from eating them.

    Kat
    kathall21@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are delicious. I know what you mean. My hips have suffered greatly. I had to practice, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh, now I'm really hungry! They all sound so good. Yup, I can see another inch on my hips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum. I foresee several extra days on the treadmill just from reading these recipes. They all sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angelica and Zi,
    I gained 5 lbs. practicing as I hadn't made biscuits in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, let me know how you like them. To be they were smoother than regular biscuits. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debra, I'm with you. I can gain weight just by looking at something yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 腰痠,
    I'm glad you enjoyed my posts. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, ladies, I can tell you, I was there. I tasted all of them. They are better than what you can imagine. Trust me. Very good. Just make sure you have enough people to eat them so you won't be tempted to over-do it yourselves. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok Linda, I think you would have had to fail me in Biscuits 101. (Unless they are the 'whompin' kind- you know, you have to 'whomp 'em on the counter to open the package?) Ha! I think I rolled 'em too thin because they were not pretty! Guess I'll have to practice more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I copied down every recipe, and can't wait to try them!

    Also:

    I awarded your blog with the Sunshine Award.

    According to the guidelines, now that I picked your blog you need to:
    Put the logo on your blog in a post.
    Pass the award onto 12 bloggers.
    Link the nominees within this post.
    Let the nominees know they have received this award by commenting on their blogs.
    Share the love and link to the person from whom you received this award.

    Cheers!
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Autumn,
    You just need a little practice and leave them about an inch thick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 龐克搖滾,

    感謝你想拿我的博客。

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy the biscuits, Lauri. Thank you for the Sunshine Award. I'll get it up asap!

    ReplyDelete