Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day two of South Dakota - Badlands and Hill City Wineries

Friday morning we drove through the Badlands National Park. The landscape changes from grassland to sharply eroded spires and buttes rich with fossils of a variety of extinct animals. It's easy to see how the area got it's name.
It's easy to see how the area got it's name. In our early history, if a person got lost, they'd never find their way out of the rough territory. Today with air search, heat seeking sensors and cell phones rescue would be easier.

While driving through we saw Prairie Dog Town and some buffalo. We found out later that if we'd continued on the dirt road we'd have seen a herd of buffalo and not just the five we took pictures of. The prairie dog I photographed let me get close. It was so curious, it scurried toward me, then changed it's mind. In another area of Prairie Dog Town, we saw a badger digging in after a meal. Dirt flew everywhere. Strangest thing--a coyote stood ten feet away watching the action. After a while it  moved a little farther away and lay down to wait. Unfortunately, my pictures didn't come out where we could identify anything.



From the Badlands we drove to Hill City where we toured two wineries--Stone Faces Winery, Valiant Vineyards second winery and Prairie Berry Winery. Both had free wine tastings with delicious offerings, and we came home with five bottles. 


My next post will be about Mountain to Prairies B&B where we stayed in Hill City. Thank you for stopping by and please leave a comment. I enjoy reading your comments.

Happy Reading and Writing!

Linda
http://www.lindalaroque.com/ 

10 comments:

  1. Enjoying your travel posts and photos, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDA--well, you got me here. I've never been to any of these places. I'm waiting until you get to Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument. One of your prairie dogs looks like a vicious little critter! Oh, I love to go through wineries. They are so tempting to buy everything in sight. Celia

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are awesome. Makes me want to take a road trip.

    Rachel Firasek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Rosemary. We had a good time.

    We love wineries too, Celia. It's hard to keep from buying not only the wine but all the little do-dads they have to go with it.

    Your kids would love Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument, Rachael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't the badlands fascinating? I didn't like them when we visited there when I was a child, but I loved them as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, your writing artistry and photos have taken me back to some very special times. When Sam and I met years ago, one of our first dates was to take a drive through the Badlands. We were fortunate to be there near sundown, which provided spectacular colors on the otherwise stark landscape. We didn't get to see the wildlife activity that you enjoyed though. Sitings of badgers don't occur often...much less the curious behavior of the nearby coyote, and you near enough to witness it!! Thank you for stirring my memories, and for spending memorable time with us in Hill City!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, they are, Susan. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, I bet it was beautiful at sundown. I can imagine what the setting sun did to the colors of the spires and buttes. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Badlands pictures. My Class of '85 story, Lonely Road to You, takes place (in part) in the Badlands and includes bison and prairie dogs. Would love to take this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I like that title, Jannine. I hope you get to take the trip one day. The Badlands are an unforgetable sight.

    ReplyDelete