Sunday, May 9, 2010

Weekend at a Dude Ranch

A writing retreat is always fun, but  hold it on a dude ranch and you'll have a blast.

The weekend of April 29th through May 2nd some of The Wild Rose Press authors and family members met at the Silver Spur Ranch in Bandera, Texas. Five of our local Heart of Texas chapter of RWA members, including myself, attended. We had our own cabin. Five women with one bathroom but we managed. Below is Belinda Bass and Debra Hanes in front of the Sundance Kid cabin.















Here's our cabin from the back. The wildflowers were beautiful.















Our meetings and meals were held in the lodge.















A relaxed schedule allowed for horseback riding, swimming, private writing time, workshops, or just time to visit or nap. Saturday morning those not riding participated in a hay ride to a cowboy breakfast. We stopped to feed the longhorns on the way. I'm the rider on the back far side with the big straw hat.














After breakfast, Kevin Fitzpatrick, champion roper, entertained us with roping tricks and his bullwhip.









































I wish I had pictures of us riding horses but it took all my concentration to stay on the horse. Though I'm a Texas girl, I'm not a horse woman. Riding was great fun. It took about thirty minutes for me to be able to walk on steady legs and several days to work the soreness out.

We had the chance to visit with the cowboys and ask a variety of questions about ranching and horses. Many of the participants attended a local rodeo in Bandera on Friday night and others visited the local gun club to test a variety of weapons.

The weekend was a great experience. Now to get busy writing.

My novel When the Ocotillo Bloom is set on a dude ranch, for problem children and teens, in the Big Bend country of Texas. You can read chapter one on my website. Click on the chapter reads page and enjoy!

Have you ever visited a dude ranch? Of so, tell me where and how you liked it.  Your comment will add your name to my monthly ebook drawing.

Thanks for stopping by. Happy Reading and Writing!

Linda
http://www.lindalaroque.com/

15 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! I had a great time down there, and loved meeting Rhonda, RJ and my own editor. That alone made the trip worthwhile!

    Keep up the great work ;)

    Kaylea Cross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Linda! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I wish I could have been there. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed meeting everyone too, Kaylea. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tiffany. I can't wait to hear where it's going to be. I'm looking forward to the booksigning in Bastrop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love horseback riding, I wish I coulda gone.
    I am, however, really glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    I too had a great time at the ranch...and I am excited to say that my own Yellow Rose - (The Perfect Country And Western Story) got a Night Owl’s Review Top Pick ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda, oh, wasn't it great at the Silver Spur? It was wonderful to meet you and Rhonda and so many others, putting faces with names. I sure hope we meet again! oxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary,
    Hopefully you'll be able to make the next one and they'll have horseback riding there too. I'll be excited to learn the location of next year's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful, Christine. Congratulations! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tanya,

    I'm waiting to hear how your wagon train trip goes. It sounds soooo exciting! Keep me posted and it was wonderful to meet you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda,

    It sounds like you had a great time.

    We used to go to the White Stallion Ranch in Tucson, but they're closed because of illnesses in the family. We loved it there and went back multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope they'll be able to open again someday, Sandy. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Linda,
    I had a wonderful time at the Silver Spur Ranch too! I enjoyed seeing your pictures (mine haven't made it the developer yet).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it looks like you had fun! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wanted to vacation at a Dude Ranch -- now I have -- through you! Thank you!

    Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!
    Ruthi
    http://ruthireads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete